A smart speaker is a type of speaker and voice command device with an integrated virtual assistant that offers interactive actions and hands-free activation. Some smart speakers can also act as a smart device that utilizes WI-FI, Bluetooth, and other protocol standards to extend usage beyond audio playbacks, such as to control home automation devices.
Managing office work along with spending quality time with your partner or kids with a need for constant communication with others becomes a tedious task and sometimes leave less space on our daily platter to catch up with what is going around the world. In that case, smart speakers are your best bet.
Whether you want to listen to your favorite song while having a shower or whether you want to catch up with the latest news updates without actually reading them or whether you want to just decide what to wear to work with compatibility to outside weather, a smart speaker does it all for you. From listening to podcasts to reading your emails without actually touching your phone it does it for you. The most popular smart speaker brands include Amazon and Google, though you can also buy smart speakers made by the likes of Apple, Sonos, and Bose.
What can Smart Speaker do?
The crucial element of a smart speaker is an intelligent virtual assistant and its ability to recognize and respond to voices. Most brands have their voice recognition technology; Amazon has Alexa, Google has Google Assistant and Apple has Siri. While each virtual assistant has a different name, they are all “woken up” by the user saying their name (i.e., Hey Siri).
Once awake, the speaker listens to your question, feed it through the system, and respond. The virtual assistant also learns more you talk to it so that it can make better sense of your accent and vocabulary over time and give you better answers. There are then manufacturers such as Bose and Sonos who rely on others’ virtual assistants. For example, both of these have Google Assistant, and Alexa built into their speakers to give their consumers a choice. It can be important to consider which virtual assistant our smart speaker uses if we intend to pair it with other devices because some smart home products only work with either Alexa or Google Assistant.
How are they beneficial?
Smart Speakers have different benefits and the continuous up-gradation in technology has led to an increase in the overall benefits of a smart speaker. To count a few following are the major benefits of the smart speaker.
- Smart Speakers not only serve as extraordinary conversationalists, but it also provides us with information about the weather, reminds us about our appointments, or even controls all our smart devices at home.
- A smart speaker can provide structured rest periods throughout the day and even guide us through meditation with apps like Headspace. It can also guide your meditation sessions.
- The smart speaker allows us to pair up two units for playing stereo or multi-room audio.
- Smart speakers are easy to carry and are like your personal music partner.
- It fulfills both personal and professional needs of like listening to favorite music and reading emails or news updates.
- Smart speakers are highly multi-functional and are like a digital personal assistant
- Smart speakers and their performance outgrow the efficiency of a human assistant who possesses limited information and is not as quick and accurate as of the smart speaker
- The data or information shared by the smart speaker is relevant, specific, and precise.
- It can make notes of the appointments scheduled in a day without using paper or physical means. It is good to buy smart speakers because it contributes to less carbon footprint due to less usage of paper
- It allows you to turn on lights or adjust the thermostat with a simple voice command.
Music Entertainment for the complete family
Smart speakers can be connected to various mobile applications like Deezer, Spotify, Amazon Music, and YouTube music which provides us a wide range of collections in different genres.
Good For the kids
When used correctly, smart speakers can be a great way to help children take a break from screens, remove distractions, and help them focus to improve their learning. Some smart speakers have special fun educational features that can help your child to develop their critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills. And depending on the smart speaker, these can help kids with reading, writing and math are as well as time management. As smart speakers remove the need for a keyboard and a screen, for children that may find it challenging to use these devices, a smart speaker can be a helpful tool to help them navigate the online world and get the best out of connected technology. Another great use for smart speakers is using them to set timers, reminders, and alarms to keep children focused on tasks for set periods. This can be especially helpful if they are doing homework or to remind them to move on to another activity.
Helpful Just Like an Assistant
For most of us, the ultimate luxury would be an assistant who always listens to our call, anticipates our every need, and takes action when necessary. That luxury is now available thanks to artificial intelligence assistants, aka voice assistants. Voice assistants come in somewhat small packages and can perform a variety of actions after hearing a wake word or command. They can turn on lights, answer questions, play music, place online orders, etc.
Smart Assistant is a term that usually refers to the types of physical items that can provide various services by using smart speakers that listen for a wake word to become active and perform certain tasks. Amazon’s Echo, Google’s Home, and Apple’s Home Pod are types of smart assistants.
Is it Necessary?
Multi-tasking has become a vital skill in this era for each one of us. Using a smart speaker in our home as a personal assistant is an increasingly common way to save time. Whether reading your emails whilst you make a morning coffee or checking share prices whilst you get dressed; having a smart speaker is like having an extra pair of hands, helping us start the day that bit more smoothly.
Research has found that the average worker spends 23 days a year in meeting with 56% of them being seen as unproductive by attendees. Smart speakers in meeting rooms can be used to connect with existing conferencing technology to streamline the process of attending remotely.
It’s increasingly rare to find a team that isn’t collaborating on one of the many project planning tool in the market. So, it’s no surprise that there are integrations for these tools such as Slack with Voice allowing us to add messages to our boards with quick commands. Similar to the email functionality, smart speakers can also read unread board notifications and archive messages ready for us to pick up later.
Which one to choose?
The best smart speakers of 2021 are some of the most multi-functional devices we can own. The most well-known smart speakers include the Amazon Echo and Google Nest range of products and more devices are being added all the time, including the new Amazon Echo (2020), Google Nest Audio, and Apple Home Pod mini.
Smart speakers with google assistant are also known by the pseudonym of Google Nest. Smart speakers with google assistant and smart speakers with screens have become a constant choice of informed customers. Well, the voice bot statistics and surveys show interesting information and differences regarding the choice of smart speakers. For example, US citizens profoundly prefer to buy a smart speaker with Alexa as they trust household brand Amazon and use it more frequently as compared to other countries. While Australians prefer to buy a smart speaker with google assistant just like other global citizens. On average it is reasonable to confirm that the millennial generation globally rank and choose a smart speaker with google assistant than Alexa due to the following reasons
- Firstly, the majority of android phones come with google assistant.
- The term" google it" has unconsciously become part of our muscle memory which lead to automatic preferences and biasedness towards smart speaker with google assistant
- Google assistant is not attached to any shopping system or encourages cold marketing on any basis.
- Google assistant is highly multilingual and is continuously increasing its presence in non-English speaking countries.
- Google claims quite one billion active Assistant users in twenty-eight languages and eighty countries. Amazon has around one hundred million devices. Siri has five hundred million.
You can also choose among new Bose and JBL smart speakers as they come in unique colors and provide you excellent sound quality as a bonus
The use of smart speakers has become highly common in this information age. We cannot ignore what is going around the world. Each day new changes in the policies, government initiatives, and events are witnessed and we need to remain updated. The voice assistant’s technology is more than affordable and offers many benefits to its users. Having a personal assistant with access to the unlimited knowledge stored on the internet - isn’t this what mankind dreams about? So, buy a smart speaker now and open the portal of knowledge for yourself, not just music.